[Freetype] font look

From: Stephane Conversy
Subject: [Freetype] font look
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 17:13:53 +0100

Hello.

I'm trying to code an SVG viewer. Of course, I use freetype 2
for text rendering. In order to test my viewer, I compare my
results with those on the w3 site.

Let's take an example:

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Test/20010127/text-text-BE-01.html

and particulary the "Bold Text" sentence in blue.
If you look at the svg file:

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Test/20010127/text-text-BE-01.svg

you can see that it's written using verdana at size 16.
Now, if I try ftstring:

ftstring -g 16 ~/local/share/fonts/verdanabd.ttf "Bold Text"

I get something that is much bigger than what we can see on the png
example.

By playing with the resolution, I found that 75 dpi lead to the best
result.
But the ftstring's "Bold Text" is longer than the svg's one.

Now if you look at the box which describes the test and reads "Scalable
Vector
Graphics (SVG) Conformance Suite), you'll see that it's in helvetica 10.

But I find the spaces between characters much larger than the svg's
ones.

I suspect the svg file to have been rendered in 72 dpi (I asked to the
developers
but I didn't receive any answer yet).

1st question:

Is there anything I can do to obtain almost the same characters with 72
dpi
by tweaking some variables I'm not aware of ?

2nd question:

Am I the only one to find that  x-advances are bigger in freetype than
in other
renderer ?

Of course, I do not emit any judgement over the quality of freetype, I'm

aware that I have some misunderstanding of what happens
in the underlying lib...

Thanks,

    stef

--