Re: [Freetype] Make: no valid name for 'include'

From: Jeremy Wadsack
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Make: no valid name for 'include'
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 16:12:54 -0700

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

I'm trying to build ImageMagick with TTF support and ImageMagick fails
configure with this:

configure:12565: checking whether the C++ compiler works
configure:12580: g++ -o conftest   -D_REENTRANT  -I/usr/local/include
-L/usr/local/lib  -L/usr/X11R6/lib conft
est.cc -ltiff -lfreetype -ljpeg -lpng -lXext -lXt  -lSM -lICE -lX11  -lz
-lpthread -lm  >&5
configure:12583: $? = 0
configure:12585: test -s conftest
configure:12588: $? = 0
configure:12593: ./conftest
./conftest: error while loading shared libraries: libfreetype.so.6:
cannot load shared object file: No such file
  or directory
configure:12596: $? = 127

Have you run `ldconfig' to make the new shared library visible to the
linker?  If it fails, you can try to use the static FreeType library
(just remove the shared one).

I don't know anything about ldconfig (and have never needed to before). If libfreetype needs ldconfig run in order to be useful, why doesn't the install tool do that for me?

Tom Kacvinsky wrote:

> However nice ldconfig is, not all platforms have it.  It would be nice
> if autoconf/libtool scripts were set up to search other areas for
> libraries (for instance, /usr/local/lib on Solaris machines), and make
> the appropriate -R/-L linker options.
>
> More to the point, some autoconf'd packages already have extra options
> that control this, but most do not.  It would be nice if there were
> easy ways of compenstating for different platforms linkers search
> paths, but automatically, so that autoconf users don't have to add
> extra options, and "lazy" autoconf users (note the quotes on lazy)
> would have some modicom of linker search path support.

I'm one of the "lazy" users. If I type 'make' that's what I want it to do. I think that the current autoconf system is somewhat mystifying, but at least it tends to be consistent. In that respect I would recommend returning to the standard

        ./configure
        make
        make install

installation method for Unix users for Freetype. The "make setup" is not something someone expects to do on ANY system (and "make;make" is really confusing). (IMHO)

> I hope that made sense.  These kinds of things are especially annoying
> to me because i have to compile on both Digital and Solaris platforms.

I compile and configure software on a variety of Linuces and Solaris all the time and certainly there are inconsistencies on each, but frankly I tend to find it easier than the hundred different forms of binary distributions that aren't even smart enough to discover if you've upgraded something from source.

> Oh well, at least FT doesn't have this problem. :)

It just requires the latest version of make! :)

--

Jeremy Wadsack
Wadsack-Allen Digital Group