Re: [Freetype] Make: no valid name for 'include'

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Make: no valid name for 'include'
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 22:31:30 +0100 (CET)

> [freetype-2.0]# make setup
> builds/modules.mk:74: no file name for `include'

Which shell do you use?  Which GNU make version?  I suspect that for
some reasons the `wildcard' function in `make' doesn't work properly.

Everything is OK for me with bash-2.03 and GNU make 3.78.1.

> FreeType build system -- automatic system detection
>
> The following settings are used:
>
>    platform                    ansi
>    compiler                    cc
>    configuration directory     ./builds/ansi
>    configuration rules         ./builds/ansi/ansi.mk

Strange.  This means that the file /sbin/init isn't readable (or
`wildcard' fails, as suspected above).  BTW, you can force a Unix
configuration with `make unix', skipping the test for /sbin/init.

> but still don't make anything. These are pretty standard linux
> distros with GCC, yet the 'make setup' does not seem to detect
> them. Following the instructions in docs/BUILD I have looked for a
> file to copy to ./config.mk, but none exists in the unix
> directory. When I run build/unix/configure, it properly detects the
> linux-i686 architecture, but build a pair of .mk files that don't
> work as drop ins for config.mk.

If `make unix' fails (which shouldn't), try `make devel' to bypass the
configure script (or even try `make unix devel').

> I've read through all the build directions (as limited as they are)
> and tried this on many different systems. From the message that make
> is giving back, it seems to me that there's a problem in the make
> file.

I'm quite sure there isn't.

If everything fails you can try makepp, a Perl replacement for GNU
make, available from http://LNC.usc.edu/~holt/makepp.

[BTW, you'll soon be able to use `jam', another make tool.]

Please report success or failure so that we can warn other users also.