Re: [Freetype] Re: Summary of ANSI preprocessor trouble..

From: Laurence Withers
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Re: Summary of ANSI preprocessor trouble..
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 17:38:22 +0000

>This is not *that* simple, since there exist also DOS boxes which runs
>on top of OSes (Win9X, NT, etc.) which do support long file names. As a
>result, some of them may experience problems here.
>
>Typically, if you expand the tree using WinZip (the usual way to do on a
>Win platform) on a VFAT partition, the directory will be named freetype2
>with long file names, but freety~1 using short ones. If you use a DOS
>tool that is unaware of long file names, it will indeed truncate the
>name. And will fail to find freetype, because there are no such beast.
>:-(.

This is something that DJGPP (DOS port of gcc) users have to deal with
on installation anyway. The DJGPP installation guide can explain this
issue much better than I can, but the bottom line is that calling the
directory `freetype2' will not create problems for DOS users.

Bye for now,
--
Laurence Withers, address@hidden
                http://www.lwithers.demon.co.uk/