Re: [Freetype] Re: Summary of ANSI preprocessor trouble..

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Re: Summary of ANSI preprocessor trouble..
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 12:27:32 +0100

Laurence Withers wrote:

> >It is ideal if headers can be included without any special magic.  If
> >the directory name 'freetype2' is not acceptable due DOS, perhaps a
> >directory name 'ft2' could be used instead.  This would require that
>
> Actually, when compiling on DOS, long filenames will be used if running
> under win95 or 98 dos box, else truncated filenames will be used (ie.
> `freetype2' will be interpreted as `freetype'),

This is not *that* simple, since there exist also DOS boxes which runs
on top of OSes (Win9X, NT, etc.) which do support long file names.
As a result, some of them may experience problems here.

Typically, if you expand the tree using WinZip (the usual way to do
on a Win platform) on a VFAT partition, the directory will be named
freetype2 with long file names, but freety~1 using short ones.
If you use a DOS tool that is unaware of long file names, it will
indeed truncate the name. And will fail to find freetype, because
there are no such beast. :-(.

> and as DOS is the only platform requiring 8+3,

This is unfortunately untrue. Of course Windows is too for the backward
compatibility reasons. But CD-ROMs also natively support only 8+3
(+ versions); you need to use extensions like RockRidge (?) to go further,
and I am not sure they are available everywhere (say, on Minix).
There is (was ?) also VMS, but my experience and my records (which are
perhaps 12 years old) here is that the problem is more in the length
of the extension, so it does not matter.

Bottom line is that sticking with 8+3 as far as possible is a good idea.

> Or you could call it `freetype.2'.

OTOH, this one looks like a working solution, which is ANSI compatible. David?

Antoine