Re: [Freetype] Re: Summary of ANSI preprocessor trouble..

From: Stefan Seefeld
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Re: Summary of ANSI preprocessor trouble..
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:11:40 -0500

David Turner wrote:

>   We are now faced with two choices:
>
>     - in one hand, we simply go back to #include <freetype/...>
>       and install the files in ../include/freetype2/freetype
>       on Unix systems, using the "freetype-config" script
>       to determine the correct "-I" flags (and others..)
>
>     - on the other hand, we still support #include <ft2build.h>
>       with macros, but we define them _directly_, with a definition
>       that changes with the install, like:

or you use 'freetype2' on systems that allow it. After all,
to write programs that are portable among those with the 8.3 restrictions
and the rest, you'll have a whole bunch of other portability issues to care
of. A simple

#ifdef _dos_ // whatever that is...
#include <freetype/freetype.h>
#elif defined(__linux__) || ...
#include <freetype2/freetype.h>
#endif

will not be a problem. Anyway, among the two options you mention, the first
is clearly the better, as long as I can write my include statement:

#include <freetype.h>

and not

#include <freetype2/freetype/freetype.h>

all is fine. Compile time flags are trivially adjustable.

Regards,        Stefan

Stefan Seefeld
Departement de Physique
Universite de Montreal