RE: [Dvdrtools-users] Mashita DVD-RAM LF-D310

From: Lachlan Cranswick
Subject: RE: [Dvdrtools-users] Mashita DVD-RAM LF-D310
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 14:04:11 +0100

>Alan,
>
>You may be interested in the following link.  I have not tried it yet.
>The following link talks about using dd to burn the iso image to the dvd
>drive intead of dvdrecord.
>
>http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/ccp14admin/linux-server/iso_images_to_dvdram/
>
>Jim Riggs
>Sr. Systems Analyst - Linux
>WW Solutions Enablement
>IBM IntelliStation
>address@hidden
>(919) 254-2403

Hi,

Sorry for only responding now - as "work work" has been causing me to delete
many mailing list messages unread. (I wrote the above - rather rambling -
webpage)

The "dd" method for burning ISO images to DVDRAM (thanks to Seth Kurtzberg
for pointing this out to me) works well when I have tried it - e.g.,

  dd if=/tmp/isos/1.iso of=/dev/scd0

But be wary that for the DVDRAM to be bootable (if this is
relevant to you) - there may be a size limit for the ISO
image (i.e., possibly less than 1 Gig for it to be bootable).
I have not had time yes to properly investigate this - hopefully
in late August after attending a conference.

-----------------------

In the context of making disaster recovery DVD disks:

One possible strategy of using the free Mondorescue for bootable disaster
recovery
and interactive restore disks -  would be to use a small DVDRAM disk for the
first disk with only 900 Meg - then use the large DVDRAM disks for the
following
archives disks (if this makes sense). e.g., using the -s option (e.g,  -s
990,4500)

Also, be wary to specify the right /dev output device in the dd command -
otherwise you will create a very large file in your /dev directory.
(the first time you make this mistake - it looks like the dd command
does not work - until you try to figure out why the / partition
has grown very large)

Lachlan.

-----------------------
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
  Birkbeck University of London and Daresbury Synchrotron Laboratory
Postal Address: CCP14 - School of Crystallography,
                Birkbeck College,
                Malet Street, Bloomsbury,
                WC1E 7HX, London,  UK
Tel: (+44) 020 7631 6850   Fax: (+44) 020 7631 6803
E-mail: address@hidden   Room: B091
WWW: http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/