Re: [DotGNU] The ECMA working group process

From: Fergus Henderson
Subject: Re: [DotGNU] The ECMA working group process
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 12:16:39 +1100

On 08-Feb-2004, Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sunday 08 February 2004 08:42 am, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> > But right now
> > all you've got is that they won't share their documents with someone
> > who is not a member, and that they work by in-person meetings and
> > haven't offered to pay your travel expenses.  Neither of those seems
> > especially unreasonable.
>
> Perhaps you (or the ECMA working group members) would care to explain how
> withholding timely information from the community and holding secret meetings
> is supposed to build a better standard than other approaches

I don't speak for ECMA and I am not a fan of their approach in this respect.

However, AFAIK ECMA may well be willing to provide timely information
and details of their meetings to community members that join ECMA.
So what you have told me does not convince me that information is being
withheld from the community in general, just that it is being withheld
from community members who for whatever reason are not willing to
join ECMA.  That does not seem especially unreasonable.

> And then perhaps you'd like to explain ... why I would
> pay a premium to have my moral's compromised in such a fashion (not to
> mention my pocketbook), playing directly into Microsoft's hands?

I did not at any point suggest that you should pay anyone any money.

I suggested that you join as either an individual or as a represent of
the non-profit FSF, which if I understand correctly would not involve
any payment.

--
Fergus Henderson <address@hidden>  |  "I have always known that the pursuit