Re: [DotGNU]pnetlib and builddir != srcdir

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]pnetlib and builddir != srcdir
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 07:16:50 -0400

Rhys Weatherley wrote:
On Friday 17 October 2003 03:07 am, Earnie Boyd wrote:

Raw Cygwin as in dependent on the cygwin1.dll runtime? I want raw windows as dependent on the MSVCRT.DLL runtime.

When using Cygwin to compile, you can specify "--disable-cygwin" on the configure line to force it to build a version that will run stand-alone under Windows. This is how most people normally build a "MingW" version.

I don't think this --disable-cygwin would help in my case because it's already disabled. The build process produces a build environment of ``i686-pc-mingw32'' from config.guess. I'll check for the cygwin specifics in the build scripts to see if they should be applied to my build environment.

The CVS version of cscc fails in the configure process for pnetC. See the attached config.log file.

   Don't know how to spawn child processes on this system

Hmmm. It looks like it didn't properly detect that your system is Win32-based when pnet was built. The detection is done in "pnet/include/il_values.h". You'll have to figure out why it didn't detect it and let us know.

Ok, I'll take a look, however I was able to add code to cscc for spawn with pipe for win32. Now I get a different error in configuring pnetC, but I'll post a new thread for that.

The question, "How do I tell csant how to find the source?" I still need
the answer to.

And I don't understand the question. It should just find it when you configure and build the system normally. There should be no situation under which you need to tell csant where the source directory is unless you are running the tools manually. Which isn't recommended.

I did just confirm that pnetlib has some problems when building in a separate build directory. I suggest sticking with building in the source directory for now. One less source of problems to deal with. I will try to figure out what the problem is once DotGNU 0.1 is out of the way.

I'll post the patches I have so far. I'm sure after applying those and building in a different directory than the source you'll understand the question. I'll use a subject ``Earnie's pnetlib build patches''.

I recommend getting Cygwin and configuring with "--disable-cygwin". That configuration has been tested extensively and is known to work.

The defacto standard build environment for executing configure for MinGW is MSYS. My goal here is to make your build environment work with the MinGW distributed tool set. So, using Cygwin isn't an option I care to try.

Earnie
--
http://www.mingw.org