Re: [DotGNU]MinGW and Portable.NET

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]MinGW and Portable.NET
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:46:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Earnie,

--- Earnie Boyd <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have just run across this project yesterday when I
> was googling to
> determine what projects were using MinGW.  I
> downloaded all of your
> released packages to find out how well I could
> execute the build
> processes.  I use a MinGW distributed product named
> MSYS for the build
> environment.  MSYS uses a modified version of Cygwin
> to provide a
> minimal set of tools whose goal is to allow a
> typical configure script
> execute to create a Makefile.  It translates paths
> for the environment
> and arguments when spawning non MSYS processes.

Ok, sounds nice ..

> Building treecc-0.2.6 was uneventful, configure
> --prefix=/mingw && make.

Of course, treecc is a very simple build :)

> Building pnet-0.5.12 was nearly uneventful, but I
> had to modify some of
> the Makefiles to add -lws2_32 for the socket
> library.  The install steps
> have a few missing $(EXEEXT) when removing and
> creating links via $(LN_S).

I think the project would be interested in the build
changes.. so that it can be included in the standard
build system.

> I then tried the pnetC-0.5.12 and received no joy as
> the pnet compiler
> doesn't support spawning with pipes for win32.  What
> is the status for
> this support?

A new release ie 0.6.0 has occured today. Could you
check this up against that ?.. I am able to do
builds of the entire toolset on raw Cygwin. It should
work without pipes , pipes are simply an optimisation
to reduce disk access while compilation.

Also I hope you build pnetlib before building pnetC ?

Get the new release , it's called "stable" ... :)

Gopal