Re: [DotGNU]Qt-Sharp apps

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Qt-Sharp apps
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 13:31:25 +0530

If memory serves me right, Marcus wrote:
> run with ilrun is to compile both Qt.dll and the app one wants to run with
> cscc.

Something curious ... The sizes of CSCC compiled and MCS compiled .dlls
are not the same ... in fact differ by about 400k ? ...

When I asked you about ...

<marcusU> -rw-r--r--    1 marcus   users   1458176 Dec 12 03:52 Qt.dll-csc
<marcusU> -rw-r--r--    1 marcus   users   1517056 Dec 12 03:41 Qt.dll-cscc
<marcusU> -rw-r--r--    1 marcus   users   1951232 Dec 12 03:47 Qt.dll-mcs

Is what I got via IRC ....

Since It looks as though the MCS compiled version has a lot of extra stuff
not found in either of the other .dlls ... I'm giving up on that file for
now ....

Now for the rotor compiled version .... are you using a CSCC compiled
test app for this ? .. or are you using a Rotor compiled test app ? ...

The size difference in the dlls might be just due to the assembler
optimisations in CSCC ... More assembler optimisations are on the way
like the "jump to a jump" optimisation or "jump to pc+1" optimisation,
which might speed up the loops a lot as well as reduce code size ...

> Ilrun is incompatible with both Rotor (csc) and Mono (mcs) compiled Qt#
> code.

Could someone test this with the code compiled with Microsoft .NET CSC ? .
It just might be some issue unclear in the spec .. (like the last time
we had a discussion about Qt.dll, which ended up with mono's Reflection.Emit
being modded..)

If someone is sure that the bug is completely with ilrun, please speak up.
Otherwise let's all go bug hunting in assembly....

Gopal