Re: [DotGNU]mingw32 support works for portable.net

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]mingw32 support works for portable.net
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 08:43:08 +1000

Rainer Groesslinger wrote:

> I don't think you meant it that way I currently think about it (<-- eh ? :P)
> but look at mono:
> I guess they would have 80% less win32 users there if they wouldn't have
> done a binary-only installer that can just be clicked and then it works...
> We don't force anyone to use it - but in general I think it's a good idea to
> make a win32 installer which just includes binary (and the only src files
> should optionally be examples ;-)

I'm not saying that it is a bad idea.  Just that I don't have
the resources myself to maintain anything other than a simple
"pnet.zip" file that packages up the build tree like so:

    make DESTDIR=/tmp/pnettmp install-strip
    cd /tmp/pnettmp
    zip pnet.zip *

I may do something fancier in the medium future.  But until
then, I'm happy to let others investigate whiz-bang installers.

Ideally, if you use a fancy installer, you should send the rule
file to me for inclusion in the source tree (e.g. like the spec
files for RPM and the debian directory for debs).  Then anyone
can build their own install package from sources if they wish.