Re: [DotGNU]mingw32 support works for portable.net

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]mingw32 support works for portable.net
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 00:00:57 +1000

> minddog wrote:
>
> C:\dotgnu\pnetlib\samples>cscc
> -fplugin-cs-path=C:\cygwin\usr\local\lib\cscc\plugins -o hello.exe hello.cs
>
> C:\dotgnu\pnetlib\samples>ilrun hello.exe

I've been working on this over the last 24 hours, and it works
pretty well as minddog and others have noticed.  The current status
of the CVS tree for mingw32 support is this:

- The path lookup code for assemblies (e.g. mscorlib.dll)
  has been overhauled so that it works outside Cygwin.
  No environment variables, registry settings, or config
  files are required - "it just works".
- Directory and regex routines have been updated sufficiently
  to make "csant" work.  I have successfully compiled pnetlib
  using a mingw32-compiled "csant" and "cscc" (using cygwin to
  provide the shell environment for the build).
- Command-line expansion for response files and wildcards works.
- "cscc" can compile C# applications as long as you specify the
  location of the "cscc-cs" plugin manually, as minddog showed.
  I should get this fixed tomorrow.

I'm pretty close on having a working mingw32 version that has a
similar level of functionality to the cygwin version.

As to installers, debian packages, cross-compiling, and what-not,
I personally am not looking into that on this round, so please
don't ask me about it.  I will leave it up to others to investigate
binary packaging systems, as I do with the Unix packages.  For
Debian issues, co-ordinate with Andrew Mitchell, and for RPM,
co-ordinate with Gopal.  And please use Savannah for all patches.

As always, my personal focus is primarily on source-level issues.
Binary packages are all well and fine, but the GPL says that the
user must be able to build their own from source if they wish,
preferably using a non-funky build environment.