Re: [certi-dev] C++ 1516 Binding

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: Re: [certi-dev] C++ 1516 Binding
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 17:53:27 +0100

2010/3/9 Ijperen, Jeroen van <address@hidden>:
>> From: Eric Noulard
>> I think HEAD is really a better choice, because the work to be done
>> will be far easier, moreover I do not want to maintain 3.3.x branch
>> besides
>> bug fixes.
>
> Sounds good, I will "checkout" the code then.

You'll find CVS checkout instruction here:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/cvs/?group=certi

>> The only thing you may need initially is a bit of CMake usage
>> knowledge.
>> Did you use CMake before?
>>
>> We may give you pointer for that.
> I haven't used CMake before, and it did look a bit intimidating. :)

Learning curve of using CMake "basics" is usually as fast as
1--3 days of work. You can try to build a small project you know
using CMake or build a toy project which has 2 executables and
2 [dynamic] libraries.
If you go for an existing project  it should be failry easy unless the
project uses a lot of third party libraries (for which it is doable too but may
need more work).

> I'll have a look to see how easy I can get it working.

Fast reading the first 15 pages of  this tutorial should give you a
broad usage view
http://www-flc.desy.de/ldcoptimization/documents/talks/CMake_Tutorial.pdf

Starting points for CMake are:
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake

Off course you have the build installation for CERTI:
http://www.nongnu.org/certi/certi_doc/Install/html/build.html

Either certi-devel list or cmake list
should be helpful for CMake usage.

I suggest you to use either CMake 2.8.x latest release
or CMake 2.6.4 which the last 2.6.x release.
(CERTI building will either with both 2.6 and 2.8)

>> Another question is: what is your primary development platform
>> Linux ? WIndows ? which flavor?
>
> My primary developer platform is Windows XP with VS 2005 (because of
> the main project for which we want to use CERTI).

That's good for us, since we mainly use Linux so having other developers
using Windows is good (for both of us).
The more development platform  we have the more robust source code we will get.

> I also have a
> secondary platform which is a Linux VM with Suse 11. I intend to build
> with both platforms.

Ok good too.

http://www.april.org