Re: [certi-dev] C++ 1516 Binding

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: Re: [certi-dev] C++ 1516 Binding
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 13:10:56 +0100

2010/3/9 Ijperen, Jeroen van <address@hidden>:
> Hello,
>
> I have posted here before, some time ago, about plans for implementing a C++
> 1516 interface for CERTI. I am happy to say that these plans are going
> forward and that I’ll start working on that in the coming months. We will
> release this code back to CERTI obviously, though we do not have all
> supported platforms available here.

That great news.

> So far I have not yet looked in detail at the code behind CERTI (I got as
> far as downloading and compiling v3.3.3), but I noticed the discussion about
> generating the code used to encode/decode messages between libRTI and the
> rti ambassador. (I hope I understood this part correctly.)

Yes you did.

> My question now is: should I try to develop my code for 1516 support against
> the last “stable” release, or against the HEAD version?

I think HEAD is really a better choice, because the work to be done
will be far easier, moreover I do not want to maintain 3.3.x branch besides
bug fixes.

> Is there any “global” estimate when these changes (the use of the generated
> code)
> will have settled?

Soon :-)

More seriously. The Federate<->RTIA is now mostly settled
and since the message code is generated. Any change would be easy to do.
(I'll explain that soon and/or may be write some documentation).

The RTIA<->RTIG is under refactoring NOW.
I have many uncommited changes in the pipe, I hope they will reach CVS HEAD
be the end of the week.  If I miss that deadline I'll have to report that for
1 or 2 (at the maximum) weeks.

That said you should be able to initiate 1516 support work using CVS HEAD.
Since the beginning of this work should be "just" re-creating already working
1.3 services (i.e. no need to add new Federate<->RTIA  nor
RTIA<->RTIG messages) you may start now without loosing your time.

The only thing you may need initially is a bit of CMake usage knowledge.
Did you use CMake before?

We may give you pointer for that.

Another question is: what is your primary development platform
Linux ? WIndows ? which flavor?

http://www.april.org