bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] XFree86 4.3

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] XFree86 4.3
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 11:31:47 +0300

On Monday 12 May 2003 17:24, Arash Zeini wrote:
> On Monday 12 May 2003 17:00, Aryan Ameri wrote:

> > I looked at it, and the patch is pretty simple, it adds the unicode
> > values of arabic to X. It also does include JEH, PEH, GAF and CHEH.
>
> You have to explain! I am not sure how it adds the values to X.
> Remember that it is not enough to add the vlaues to the xkb map.
> That's waht we have in our map too. The problem is that these values
> are not passed to different X components/layers correctly. For KDE
> this problem has been taken care at the Qt level.
> The lines that you see in the patch are comments, I guess as kind of
> a reference.

Hey, I ain't a programmer, but beleive me, I have the ability to
distiguish comments from code !!

OK, maybe that one patch doesn't add Farsi characters to X, but then
what is it? you say it adds Farsi to X keyboard map? And what is the
result of that?

I really want to ask this question, what does it take to add farsi to X?
What kind of a patch does such a thing? What are we looking for?

You always say "For KDE this problem has been taken care at the Qt
level." Well, it does seem to me that this taken care of, is just a
patch to Qt, and that Qt is just a toolkit. What should we do to take
care of it, in the X level? X is also a toolkit, they patched Qt, and
added Farsi to it, now, what does it take to patch X and add farsi to
it?

> > Although it assumes that these are also arabic letters. I am not
> > familiar with the Unicode table, and I don't know wether according
> > to Unicode, if they are considered arabic or not. But anyway, the
> > patch adds all arabic and farsi characters to X.
>
> Yes Farsi is part of the Arabic code page. I.e., it is a "subset" of
> Arabic. The same applies to all the other languages that use a
> modified Arabic script.

Good to know

> Agreeing with ArashB I assume that the patch or improvement has
> happened somewhere in the lines of GTK or the like.

Completely disagree. Mozilla might build on top of Gtk, but I can assure
you that OOo doesn't have anything to do with Gtk. Sun doesn't use any
toolkit, not Qt, Not MFC, not .Net, Not Motif, and not Gtk, in building
OOo. OOo uses it's own (rather inefficent) structure.

I think RedHat has patched X.

Cheers
--
/* The best part about banging your