bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] XFree86 4.3

From: Arash Zeini
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] XFree86 4.3
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 18:54:08 +0430

On Monday 12 May 2003 17:00, Aryan Ameri wrote:

> > > I would say that the first one, isthe one we need and then would
> > > come the ones after to make sure and have a look.
> > >
> > > Many thanks,
> > > Arash
> >
> > Agree , maybe "X keyboard  Arabic Patch" isn't it ?
>
> Yes, it is X keyboard Arabic patch. And it seems to be the right patch.

I am not sure!

> I looked at it, and the patch is pretty simple, it adds the unicode
> values of arabic to X. It also does include JEH, PEH, GAF and CHEH.

You have to explain! I am not sure how it adds the values to X. Remember that
it is not enough to add the vlaues to the xkb map. That's waht we have in our
map too. The problem is that these values are not passed to different X
components/layers correctly. For KDE this problem has been taken care at the
Qt level.
The lines that you see in the patch are comments, I guess as kind of a
reference.

> Although it assumes that these are also arabic letters. I am not
> familiar with the Unicode table, and I don't know wether according to
> Unicode, if they are considered arabic or not. But anyway, the patch
> adds all arabic and farsi characters to X.

Yes Farsi is part of the Arabic code page. I.e., it is a "subset" of Arabic.
The same applies to all the other languages that use a modified Arabic
script.

Agreeing with ArashB I assume that the patch or improvement has happened
somewhere in the lines of GTK or the like.

Greetings,
Arash

--
The FarsiKDE Project