bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] XFree86 4.3

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] XFree86 4.3
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 15:30:28 +0300

On Monday 12 May 2003 01:18, Zoup wrote:
> > > XFree86-4.2.99.2-xkb-ar.patch
> > > XFree86-4.2.99.3-locale-alias-gb18030.patch
> > > XFree86-4.2.99.3-mga-unresolved-symbols.patch
> > > XFree86-4.2.99.901-xkb-sysreq.patch
> >
> > I would say that the first one, isthe one we need and then would
> > come the ones after to make sure and have a look.
> >
> > Many thanks,
> > Arash
>
> Agree , maybe "X keyboard  Arabic Patch" isn't it ?

Yes, it is X keyboard Arabic patch. And it seems to be the right patch.
I looked at it, and the patch is pretty simple, it adds the unicode
values of arabic to X. It also does include JEH, PEH, GAF and CHEH.
Although it assumes that these are also arabic letters. I am not
familiar with the Unicode table, and I don't know wether according to
Unicode, if they are considered arabic or not. But anyway, the patch
adds all arabic and farsi characters to X.

Thanks to hossein, who really provided insight.

The next steps in my opinion should be these:

1. Apply to patch to a non redhat system, and see if it works or not.
2. To make sure, get XFree86 from the XFree project itself (not from a
distro) and compile it and then apply the patch to XFree86. If the
patch also works there, then viola !

3. Then perhaps we should submit the patch to XFree86 and hope that they
will add it in the comming years :-d

One thing that is interesting, is that it seems the patch was written on
Jan 2002, considering that the same patch is also included in RedHat 8,
this makes sense. However, why haven't we been able to find this patch
for one and a half year?

Shame on us !! And hats off to Hossein and RedHat

Cheers
--
/* The best part about banging your
head against a wall is when you stop.