bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] Familiar/OPIE/GPE2 Sync

From: Hossein S. Zadeh
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Familiar/OPIE/GPE2 Sync
Date: 12 May 2003 15:39:37 +1000

On Sat, 2003-05-10 at 12:29, Kaveh wrote:
> --- "Hossein S. Zadeh" <address@hidden>

> had you checked this places?
> http://www.handhelds.org/~zecke/kitchensync.html
> http://opie.handhelds.org/wiki/index.php/OpieSyncing
> ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qtopia/source/
>
> I have a zaurus and I want to sync in with linux, I
> have not installed opie yet but I am intereseted in
> doing that,
> Tell me any progress and I will too,

Hi there,
I tried all the 3 links above, but unfortunately all the applications
are either too old (don't work anymore), or are pre-pre-pre-alpha
quality (many things don't work, they crash, etc.). All in all, this is
proving to be a pain in the proverbial back... The hunt continues....
:-(

With regards to OPIE, it looks pretty impressive. I've shown it to a few
friends, who are expert in UI design, and they are impressed. All
applications look very polished, and their behavior is exactly as
expected. The drawback is that OPIE is not X.

There is another GUI available on StrongARM (iPAQ included) called GPE2.
It is a port of X and GTK2/Gnome2. It doesn't look as polished as OPIE,
and each application behaves in its own way--exactly like a real X!!
GPE2 has come a long way in a short time, and is very heavy development.
Two advantages, as far as I am concerned:

1) all applications use SQLite for data storage, as opposed to XML under
OPIE. XML, as good as it is, is very inefficient for both storage space,
and speed of random access to data.

2) GPE2 is based on X. You can SSH to your PDA, and run a X application
there with the display on your desktop. Or even better, you can SSH from
your PDA, and run X applications on a remote machine with the display on
the PDA. Pretty cool.

Hope this helps.

cheers,
Hossein