wget-dev

Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | Preallocate file before starting downloading (#45

From: Darshit Shah
Subject: Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | Preallocate file before starting downloading (#450)
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 09:40:01 +0000

It's not a majority of cases. But such hard failures do happen and we do not
want to cause breakages at that point. The file not being the right size is an
important metric to identify that the file wasn't completely downloaded.

`--preallocate` _might_ be an option. But I'm not completely convinced with it.
It adds extra complexity to the code to handle `-c` and related options when
`--preallocate` is used.

Also, firefox and others do download to a ".part" file. But none of them
preallocate the disk space. Moving the ".part" file to its right location des
not magically defragment the file. The inodes remain as-is on disk, only the
directory reflects a different filename for it.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/issues/450#note_173628270