wget-dev

Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | Preallocate file before starting downloading (#45

From: Andrey Gursky
Subject: Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | Preallocate file before starting downloading (#450)
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 23:49:05 +0000

Receiving file creation requests FS has no clue, how big the files will be and
where it is the best to place them. Perhaps some heuristics try to workaround
this. But not ignoring the information from web server about the file size and
forwarding this hint to FS should allow it to perform at the best level.

Indeed, preallocation would be a problem for systems encountering really hard
failures often. I'd say this looks like an exception, which occurs very rarely.

(Personally only if I save file to a network FS with a bad connection I may
have to use SIGKILL instead of usual SIGTERM, but in such cases true
preallocation would be likely not supported at all. In opposite I encounter
really too often cases where files with constant size are served only in chunks
making continue impossible.)

But if from your experience the most cases of wget2 usage end in a such
scenario, then `--preallocate` could be a non-default option. Anyway making
this option default or not is perhaps another issue.

Just for example, Firefox and youtube-dl create temporary files (like ".part")
for state tracking.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/issues/450#note_173478698