viewmail-info

Re: [VM] gmail starred and vm flagged not synchronizing well?

From: et
Subject: Re: [VM] gmail starred and vm flagged not synchronizing well?
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 12:51:00 +0000 (UTC)

Uday Reddy <address@hidden> writes:

> Concurrent access is always a tricky business.  Please be sure to read
> very carefully the section "IMAP Synchronization" in the VM manual:
>
>   Top > Starting Up > POP and IMAP Folders > IMAP Folders
>
> Here are some reasons I can think of, for getting misbehaviour.
>
> 1. VM uses manual save.  Most other mail clients use automatic save.  So, VM
> doesn't work the same way as the others.  If you are opening two VM sessions
> on the same IMAP folder, you need to keep this in mind.
>
> 2. Many IMAP servers are buggy.  My own departmental IMAP server often
> doesn't do the changes VM asks it to do.  VM has to ask it twice.  (I have
> built this into VM because I thought maybe other IMAP servers have
> this problem too.)  Sometimes I have to force VM to log out of the IMAP
> server for changes to take effect!
>
> You can look at the trace of the IMAP session (with a buffer name like
> "trace of IMAP session to...") to see if you can detect any misbehaviour.
>
> Cheers,
> Uday
>
> et writes:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I've been using vm together with gmail and with the apple Mail.app for a
> > while, flagging messages in one of the three and unflagging in another,
> > and things seemed to work very well.  recently I noticed that when I
> > un-star a mail in gmail, it is not un-flagged in vm, while it is
> > un-flagged in Mail.app.  This used to work in the past.  I wonder if
> > this has somehow to do with the fact that I now read my mail in vm on
> > both my laptop and desktop...
> >
> > thanks for any hints, E

Thanks Uday, I tried the vm-imap-synchronize mentioned in
the manual in my inbox, and when it was done the flags are
not synchronized.  vm-imap-sync-on-get is t for me.

when I look at the trace buffer, I see that the flags are
obtained from gmail correctly: I count the occurrences of
lines like this:

* 19997 FETCH (UID 37645 RFC822.SIZE 5252 FLAGS (\Flagged
  \Seen))

and find that the number corresponds to 17, the right
number of gmail, while vm shows 38 flagged messages.

cheers, E