viewmail-info

Re: [VM] gmail starred and vm flagged not synchronizing well?

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] gmail starred and vm flagged not synchronizing well?
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 10:14:43 +0000

Concurrent access is always a tricky business.  Please be sure to read
very carefully the section "IMAP Synchronization" in the VM manual:

  Top > Starting Up > POP and IMAP Folders > IMAP Folders

Here are some reasons I can think of, for getting misbehaviour.

1. VM uses manual save.  Most other mail clients use automatic save.  So, VM
doesn't work the same way as the others.  If you are opening two VM sessions
on the same IMAP folder, you need to keep this in mind.

2. Many IMAP servers are buggy.  My own departmental IMAP server often
doesn't do the changes VM asks it to do.  VM has to ask it twice.  (I have
built this into VM because I thought maybe other IMAP servers have
this problem too.)  Sometimes I have to force VM to log out of the IMAP
server for changes to take effect!

You can look at the trace of the IMAP session (with a buffer name like
"trace of IMAP session to...") to see if you can detect any misbehaviour.

Cheers,
Uday