viewmail-info

Re: [VM] VM BAD Command Argument Error. 11

From: John Stoffel
Subject: Re: [VM] VM BAD Command Argument Error. 11
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 15:00:48 -0400

Uday> John Stoffel writes:
>> I'm still using vm-visit-imap-folder from 8.2.0b inside 23.1.1 on
>> x86_64 CentOS to read my eamil from Microsoft Exchange (probably 2010,
>> not sure).  But right now I occasionally run into problems where I
>> can't seem to get new email.  Looking the saved trace log I see:
>>
>> VM STORE 460 +FLAGS.SILENT (filed)
>> VM BAD Command Argument Error. 11

Uday> The IMAP standard (RFC 3501) says:

Uday>    59) It is not an error for the client to store a flag that is not in
Uday>    the PERMANENTFLAGS list; however, the server will either ignore the
Uday>    change or make the change in the session only.

Uday> So, unfortunately, your Exchange server is not adhering to the
Uday> standard.  Please do complain to whoever is running your
Uday> Exchange server.

Sounds like it's an Exchange problem then.  Oh well... time to bitch
at MS for not supporting this properly.

Uday> All that I can do is to make VM resilient so that it carries on
Uday> regardless of the error messages.  So, what happens after these
Uday> error messages arise?  Does VM break in some way?

Yeah, it breaks because I can't sync up and save my email buffer
properly without running 'vm-imap-synchronize' to get it to push my
local changes back up to the Exchange server.

All I get when I telnet to the IMAP port is:

  OK The Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 service is ready.

But I do know we're running on Windows Server 2008R2, and when I ask
for capabilities I get:

  a8 CAPABILITY
  * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 AUTH=NTLM AUTH=GSSAPI AUTH=PLAIN STARTTLS
  UIDPLUS CHILDREN IDLE NAMESPACE LITERAL+

Please let me know if there's other info I can get you.

John