trans-coord-devel

Re: Hints for translators about GNUN-SLOT

From: Kaloian Doganov
Subject: Re: Hints for translators about GNUN-SLOT
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 08:48:06 +0200

Yavor Doganov <address@hidden> writes:

    If you know of an easy way to insert it as PO comment without
    low-level string manipulation of the POT files themselves (as that
    sounds fragile), please say so.

Sorry, I don't have anything in mind.

    You mean "unreadable" in the source code?

Yes.  Mixing literal newlines with escaped newlines obfuscates the
structure of the string. See the difference:

Mixed:

    "Line1
Line2
Line3\n\nLine5
Line6\n"

Escaped newlines only:

    "Line 1\n"
    "Line 2\n"
    "\n"
    "\n"
    "Line 5\n"
    "Line 6\n"

Literal newlines only (first line starts with identation):

    "Line 1
Line2

Line5
Line6
"

Which variant is more clear at the first glance?  IMO, the longer the
string is, more unreadable it becomes for the eye in the first, "mixed"
variant.

    If you have tested this I'll commit it.

I have tested it.

    Or maybe it's better if I try to remember what was that DOM-worry
    about.

This is a good idea.