toad-devel

Re: [Toad-devel] File format for tournament information

From: Ben Finney
Subject: Re: [Toad-devel] File format for tournament information
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 08:39:29 +1000

On 02-Apr-2003, Erik Ouchterlony wrote:
> > On 02-Apr-2003, Garner, Robin wrote:
> > > Well, the 2 programs that currently process this data are written
> > > in Hypercard (Neville's tournament management program) and
> > > Modula-3 (my ratings system).  If you can find XML parser packages
> > > for both of these, then I'm sold.
>
> Writing a simple parser for an XML-file isn't much harder than writing
> parser for a homebrewn format, is it?

The context of Robin's question was my assurance that XML parsers
already exist for the majority of languages.  Re-implementing the data
format he already has to an XML format won't gain him anything at the
moment.

The rest of your comments, arguing that TOAD should choose XML formats
for its own data storage, are preaching to the choir it seems :-)  I
don't see a reason *not* to use XML to define our data formats, so that
seems to be the default option for now.

--
 \     "If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the |
  `\        mirror, because I bet that's what REALLY throws you into a |