tlf-devel

Re: The state QSO Party thread [TN QP]

From: Doug Smith
Subject: Re: The state QSO Party thread [TN QP]
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 17:22:41 -0500

For years I was the adjudicator for the TNQP and still am the backup guy. I haven't run Nate's log through the checking software yet but it looks straightforward & I don't remember having significant issues with TLF output in the past.

One thing I did notice is the LOCATION: tag in the Cabrillo header is "Kansas". N1MM puts one's ARRL section on this tag, and the adjudication software we use will kick out a log that doesn't have a valid ARRL section. (in Nate's case, "KS" -- but if you're in New York which has multiple ARRL sections, "NY" will NOT work. It needs to be NLI or ENY or WNY or NNY.)

The LOCATION: tag is interchangeable with the ARRL-SECTION: tag but it must contain a valid ARRL section either way. For entrants outside the U.S. and Canada, the appropriate entry is "DX".

It might be a bit more trouble to fix than it's worth, but it would be helpful both for the adjudicators and new-to-QSO-Party entrants if somehow one could be forced (or at least guided) to enter a valid section.

This really doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but that's the way the third-party packages work.....

I don't see that Nate worked any of our mobiles more than once on the same band/mode. We don't allow county-line operations in our contest. (well, technically they're permitted but only if you can figure out how to park your car so the radio *and* the antenna are both exactly on the border!) If he had, the adjudication software would have accepted multiple 40CW QSOs with W4NZ as valid if different counties had been logged.

Final nit pick:) The file we received was N0NB.cbr. N1MM uses the .log extension. Obviously it is not a big deal for the adjudicator to rename the file:) (the adjudication software ignores any files without the .log extension)

Again, none of this is serious. Nate, thanks for entering! (and thanks for working me on 80 meters. 100 watts to a VOCF antenna 1.8m above ground behind a fence. "VOCF"=VERY off-center fed.)