tlf-devel

[Tlf-devel] Handling multiplier aliases?

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: [Tlf-devel] Handling multiplier aliases?
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2018 09:05:47 -0500

One of the limitations I have had with Tlf in the past is aliasing a
list of multiplier strings to a single multiplier.  To wit, like many US
QSO Parties, the Kansas QSO Party has a different set of multipliers for
in-state and out of state stations.

For out of state stations the situation is straight forward, the 105
counties in Kansas which are three characters in length.  For in-state
stations, such as myself, it is a bit more complicated as our
multipliers are the other 49 states using the USPS two-letter state
abbreviations and the 14 Canadian provinces, also by a two letter
abbreviation, and DX for the rest of the world.  When an in-state works
another in-state we exchange the three letter county abbreviation,
however, only the first exchange counts for Kansas, so we have a total
of 64 multipliers!

In its current iteration, Tlf treats the three letter county
abbreviations as a new multiplier for each, but this is clearly wrong
per our rules.  To provide an accurate log summary I use a custom Python
script to process the log after the event.  It would be nice to have Tlf
count the multipliers properly and verify the entered exchange against
the list to avoid typing errors.

How best can we accomplish this?

73, Nate

Web: http://www.n0nb.us  GPG key: D55A8819  GitHub: N0NB