tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] tlf without hamlib?

From: Ervin Hegedüs
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] tlf without hamlib?
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 20:47:36 +0100

Hi Zoli,

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 06:52:33PM +0100, Csahok Zoltan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently tlf has an optional hamlib support. I guess it's optional due
> to historical reasons: hamlib may have been not always available or unstable
> in the past.
> Now hamlib is the de-facto standard rig control library for Linux.
> A quick check of official debian tlf packages shows that in all versions
> hamlib support is compiled in.

it's just one distribution. There are several others, which
contains Tlf, eg. Gentoo (maintainer is Thomas), SuSE, Slackware,
Arch, and many others.

> The question: could we make hamlib support mandatory?

Interesting idea, and I don't know any other reason to do that,
just what if there is a distro, which doesn't distribute the Tlf
with hamlib.

(After a quick search, in case of most distros I didn't find Tlf,
or if the distro contains, that is a very old version of Tlf,
eg. 1.1.3...)

> The advantage of this change is that all code parts not using hamlib
> could be disposed of (incl. #ifdef's). Functionally there should be no
> drawbacks,
> as rig control can be disabled with the -r option.

Note, that you should disable the RIG control if you place a
comment sig to the lines in logcfg.dat, before the RIG_ options.

> What do you think? Is there a use case for tlf compiled without hamlib?

I think we should do - but I'm curious about the opinions of
other users.

73, Ervin
HA2OS