tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] tlf without hamlib?

From: Thomas Beierlein
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] tlf without hamlib?
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 19:35:25 +0100

Hi Zoli,

Am Tue, 23 Jan 2018 18:52:33 +0100
schrieb Csahok Zoltan <address@hidden>:
> Hi,
>
> Currently tlf has an optional hamlib support. I guess it's optional
> due to historical reasons: hamlib may have been not always available
> or unstable in the past.

There was a second historical reason: In old versions there was a
separate piece of code to control the TenTec Orion which was not
supported by hamlib at that time.

But as hamlib now also supports that rig the related code got dropped
around 5 years ago.

> Now hamlib is the de-facto standard rig control library for Linux.
> A quick check of official debian tlf packages shows that in all
> versions hamlib support is compiled in.
>
> The question: could we make hamlib support mandatory?
> The advantage of this change is that all code parts not using hamlib
> could be disposed of (incl. #ifdef's). Functionally there should be
> no drawbacks, as rig control can be disabled with the -r option.

I am strongly in favor of that idea. Atm I see no reason to compile Tlf
without it. It would further simplify the codebase and make tests
easier.

73, de Tom DL1JBE