therion-users

Re: [therion] Re: [Therion] Feedback on 0.3.8 - queries

From: John Pybus
Subject: Re: [therion] Re: [Therion] Feedback on 0.3.8 - queries
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:49:29 +0100

Stacho Mudrak wrote:

There was no traffic in the mailing list, so I was worried, that all the people that tried therion are disappointed with it.

Or perhaps we're all away surveying new caves, rather than drawing them
up ;-)

I've just got back from a month on expedition, and as soon I've caught
up with work will be scanning in some new scraps...

Wookey wrote:

Colour scrap by altitude is nice but the abrubt joins can look
nasty in the middle of wide, nominally horizontal passage.  It
works really well in the 'soundriver' area where there are
nicely-merging shades of green, but nastily in other some other
areas. Some way to graduate the join a bit would make it look a lot
nicer. Or apply more detailed colour control to a scrap like
'nearly the same as neighbour scrapname'.

This I have to discuss with MartinB. As far as I know PDF - some
gradient colorings are possible, but only for triangles. Not for
bezier curves. So in principle, there are two possibilities:

I thought that the PDF spec provided considerable flexability in the
shadings, and it seems that it does.  From the Fourth edition of the PDF
reference, page 267 (avalable from:
http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/pdf/PDFReference15_v5.pdf .)

------------
Various shading types are available, depending on the value of the
dictionary’s ShadingType entry:

• Function-based shadings (type 1) define the color of every point in
the domain using a mathematical function (not necessarily smooth or
continuous).
• Axial shadings (type 2) define a color blend along a line between two
points, optionally extended beyond the boundary points by continuing the
boundary colors.
• Radial shadings (type 3) define a blend between two circles,
optionally extended beyond the boundary circles by continuing the
boundary colors. This type of shading is commonly used to represent
three-dimensional spheres and cones.
• Free-form Gouraud-shaded triangle meshes (type 4) define a common
construct used by many three-dimensional applications to represent
complex colored and shaded shapes. Vertices are specified in free-form
geometry.
• Lattice-form Gouraud-shaded triangle meshes (type 5) are based on the
same geometrical construct as type 4, but with vertices specified as a
pseudorectangular lattice.
• Coons patch meshes (type 6) construct a shading from one or more color
patches, each bounded by four cubic Bézier curves.
• Tensor-product patch meshes (type 7) are similar to type 6, but with
additional control points in each patch, affording greater control over
color mapping.

But a simple linear gradient across the join points of two scraps with
different colours would give a big improvement.

Cheers,

John