emacs messages in other languages (was: speechd-el reads whole line [SOL

From: Nicolas Graner
Subject: emacs messages in other languages (was: speechd-el reads whole line [SOLVED] and more)
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 14:47:12 +0200

NG> Now the suggestion: speechd-speak forces the language to "en"
NG> when it reads some messages, in particular from the
NG> minibuffer. This is fine but not always appropriate, sometimes
NG> messages would be better read in the same language as buffers. I
NG> think this should be controlled by a customizable variable.

MZ> I can add a customization option but I'd like to understand your needs
MZ> first.  What's your use case?

Mostly for messages from my own functions. As a Frenchman who reads and
writes primarily in French, in my code I usually display messages in
French and I would prefer to hear them in a Franch voice. Also for
standard emacs messages thet include a file name, since my directory and
file names are usually French. When emacs displays for instance "wrote
/home/nicolas/travail/fichiers/rapport-mai-2020.txt" I would rather hear
it with a French accent, where "wrote" would sound weird and the file
name would be clear, rather than an English voice. I realize this is
purely a matter of personal taste, that's why I am suggesting a
customization option.

Thanks for your interest,
Nicolas