Txt2pho - or let's Python!

From: Bohdan R . Rau
Subject: Txt2pho - or let's Python!
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 09:54:25 +0100

 On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 12:31:17 +0100, Halim Sahin wrote:
> Hi Bohdan,

 Hi!
 Thanks for you remarks. New (slightly corrected) version you can find
 at:
 http://tts.polip.com/files/spd/python_txt2pho-0.1.1.tar.gz

> Well some Questions about the txt2pho module:
> It's not clear to my how sd_txt2pho selects the voices.
> After copieing the conf file to ~/.sd_txt2pho I've modiefied the
> voicepath.
> After starting the module it selected de2 but de2 isn't listed in the
> ~/.sd_txt2pho config file.
> However I've have de6 and de7 in my voicepath.

 sd_txt2pho knows basic parameters (gender, samplerate) of six known to
 me German voices and automatically loads all voices found in path,
 giving arbitrary names. So first found male voice (in your case 'de2')
 will be default.
 In configuration file you can only rename voices, not enable or
 disable.
 It should be parameter in configuration to select which voice (voices)
 will be default, for example:

 default voices = de6 de7

 What you think?

 At now you can look at beginning of GerSpeaker class in sd_txt2pho.py
 file and move de6 to first position in _german_vlist.

> Audio works fine but I don't know if it's libao or pulse :-(.

 I added logginng used audio method, so you will be able to check it
 near top of log file.
 For today audio is maximally simplified (it selects 'pulse' driver if
 you had 'pulse' in main speechd config or 'ao' if you have something
 else), but it will be changed in next version (I have working audio
 selector in my milvona module, so I must only rewrite it in Python
 and add extra parameters to Spda class initializer).

> Differences between sd_txt2pho and eg. sd_espeak:
> Mbrola says blank when typing on the tty.
> Other modules don't. Now I replaced blank by '' in germanizer.py to
> avoid this :-).

 Wrong! It will break spelling mode of module!
 It was bug in Phonetizer class, now you won't hear blank echoed. Also
 there is new parameter 'announce blank' in configuration (may be someone
 want to hear 'blank' when pressing space).

> The germanizer.py needs some improovements but I.ll provided an
> updated
> version if you are interested :-).

 Yes of course!
 But I think the Latinizer class must be improved first, as many
 improvements will be common for most languages, not only German.

 Answering your second mail:

> 2. it takes some time to get the spoken text after typing or
> navigating
> on tty

 How long time? As I mentioned previously, this time will be shorten to
 minimum, but it's not trivial (some constructions working in C does not
 work properly in Python, especially subprocess.Popen behaves very
 strange). In log file you will have lines starting from 'Preparation
 time' showing time consumed for preparing each part. If this time is
 same as you hear, simply be patient, it will be corrected as fast as
 possible. If the real time is longer, check your audio driver.
 Due to bug #866 in pulseaudio it's not possible to close connection
 immediately after draining internal pulse buffers, so extra silence was
 added instead. Is it the reason?
 Another possible reason: you have pulseaudio installed, but in
 speechd.conf you selected another driver. In this case current version
 of module
 will use libao with internal pulse driver, which is worst thing and you
 should simply wait for next version.

> 3. a string starting with . folowed by other text produces no output
> here.
> EG.:
> . hello world

 Strange - I didn't see this effect. It was bug in Latinizer (corrected
 - it was spoken 'hello world' instead of 'punkt hello world').
 In command line:

 spd-say -o txt2pho '. hello world'

 produced speech as above. Also I tried to read your mail with Orca and
 Firefox - without problems.

 In log file you will have input data and message logged. As you can
 enable/disable logs on the fly simply changing 'enable log' parameter in
 configuration, please send me fragment of log file with string producing
 bad output.

 Best regards

 ethanak
--