Txt2pho - or let's Python!

From: Bohdan R . Rau
Subject: Txt2pho - or let's Python!
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 10:58:10 +0100

 Hello all

 First version of txt2pho German module is ready to download
 from http://tts.polip.com/files/spd/python_txt2pho-0.1.0.tar.gz

 Module is write in Python except audio output, which is
 written in C as Python extension... what do you think about
 this way of creating modules?

 Archive contains:

 a) pyspda - Python Speech-Dispatcher Audio
    audio output module

 b) spdsimple - common files for Python module writers

 c) sd_txt2pho.py - complete txt2pho module

 d) germanizer.py - helper class for German language.
    At now should be put in same place where sd_txt2pho.py lives.

 Instalation is manual now - I personally run this module
 as softlink in /usr/lib/speech-dispatcher-modules.

 To compile pyspda you must have libao, pulse-simple and sndfile devel
 files
 (sorry for this, I haven't time to write autoconf files for detecting
 pulse
 and libao, it will be changed as soon as possible).

 At first time module copies it's configuration file into ~/.sd_txt2pho
 so it's possible to have different settings for different users.
 Every changes you want to make in configuration you must make in this
 file. Modification time of this file is checked before any speak
 command, so run-time parameters (like contrast factor, mbrola pause
 correction etc) may be changed on the fly.

 There is many things to do. Audio library must have built-in
 equalizer (may be sonic also) and must be able to play stereo sounds.
 Language preprocessor (Latinizer) at now does not use punctuation mode
 and must be able to properly recognize popular non-alphanumeric
 characters. German language preprocessor is only initial and must
 be continued by native German speaker. Both txt2pho and mbrola
 should be preloaded to minimize latency...

 So question (especially to Halim): should I (or we) continue with
 developing Python module (modules)? If yes, I can do everything but
 German preprocessor. If not - I have many other interesting activities,
 including going for a beer as an important position :)

 Regards

 ethanak
--
 http://milena.polip.com/ - Pa pa, Ivonko!