why pulse (WAS: Update on speech-dispatcher and pulse)

From: Nolan Darilek
Subject: why pulse (WAS: Update on speech-dispatcher and pulse)
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 15:40:46 -0000

On 06/01/2009 11:31 PM, Aleksandar Kostadinov wrote:

> I'm trying to understand if the crashes are seen with pure alsa as
> well. If not then configuring for alsa can make current pulse users be
> able to use SD much more conveniently.

The crashes are there, but not nearly as common--maybe once per day or
two. But SD will not work if it is configured for ALSA and Pulse is
running, so it either needs to be configured to work with Pulse or not
used at all for my use case. AFAIK, SD is the only Pulse option.

> As well will identify to some
> extend the culprit of the crashes.

IIRC, the logs I posted a while back include the file and line number of
an error that is getting thrown during each type of crash, so the
information is there. If what I've provided isn't enough then I'm
certainly willing to provide more if asked, up to and including building
and running new test versions of SD.

> Personally I'd like to know the
> best reliability of SD that can be achieved so I decide whether there
> is a chance to make it work for my wife. I certainly will not ask her
> to restart it few times an hour (and she would not accept if I did).

Then you may want to stick with ALSA. Perhaps ALSA won't misbehave for
you, as it's a good solution for many. It's just not universal, just as
Pulse isn't.

Good luck.