why pulse (WAS: Update on speech-dispatcher and pulse)

From: Nolan Darilek
Subject: why pulse (WAS: Update on speech-dispatcher and pulse)
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 20:58:03 -0000

On 06/01/2009 02:59 PM, Aleksandar Kostadinov wrote:

> Why is it so important for everybody SD to work with pulse, if it is
> working fine with ALSA !?

*I* never said it was working fine with ALSA. In fact, there are a
number of issues using ALSA without Pulse on my laptop that I've made
the informed decision to use Pulse.

And, as I said in my previous updates, SD is the only issue I've had
with Pulse during most of my use of it. OK, not entirely true, there
were issues with audio on youtube a bit over a year ago, but aside from
that, my only issue with Pulse is that SD has crashed four times during
my typing of this while other audio continues along fine, and while
that's certainly a bother, not having my audio come back after suspend
is more so, as are the Pidgin and other crashes that I've seen reported
on some AT mailing lists because people switched back to ALSA and ALSA
has its warts too.

So, no, the accessible community distaste for Pulse isn't universal, and
while I support user choice to enable or disable it based on whatever
works best, it'd be nice to see as much support for my choice to use it
as is given to other's choice *not* to.

Anyhow, not contributing further to this. My original post was curiosity
about the status of this long-unresolved Pulse issue, not on whether or
not I should be running it based on my own circumstances.