why pulse (WAS: Update on speech-dispatcher and pulse)

From: Aleksandar Kostadinov
Subject: why pulse (WAS: Update on speech-dispatcher and pulse)
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 07:22:57 +0300

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 11:58 PM, Nolan Darilek <nolan at thewordnerd.info>
wrote:
> On 06/01/2009 02:59 PM, Aleksandar Kostadinov wrote:
>>
>> Why is it so important for everybody SD to work with pulse, if it is
>> working fine with ALSA !?
>>

> *I* never said it was working fine with ALSA. In fact, there are a number of
> issues using ALSA without Pulse on my laptop that I've made the informed
> decision to use Pulse.

May I know what issues do you have? Just interested, please don't take offend.

> And, as I said in my previous updates, SD is the only issue I've had with
> Pulse during most of my use of it. OK, not entirely true, there were issues

I've heard for a lot of issues with sound servers and personally had
them with sound servers (never used pulse though). Thus I suggested
ALSA could be tried. I don't believe the sole issue is SD because it
uses the wine's audio output. So *if ALSA fixes crashes* then it must
be something between wine and pulse. I just want to isolate the
problem.

> with audio on youtube a bit over a year ago, but aside from that, my only
> issue with Pulse is that SD has crashed four times during my typing of this
> while other audio continues along fine, and while that's certainly a bother,
> not having my audio come back after suspend is more so, as are the Pidgin

I think here the problem is the suspend program. I'm using
hibernate-ram/disk program which allows to specify programs to start
before and after suspend. I have the following lines in the
common.conf:
OnSuspend 90 /usr/sbin/alsactl store
OnResume 10 /usr/sbin/alsactl restore

> and other crashes that I've seen reported on some AT mailing lists because
> people switched back to ALSA and ALSA has its warts too.

This must be old? By default ALSA comes with dmix configured now so
this should not be an issue. Or is caused my misconfigured ALSA?

> So, no, the accessible community distaste for Pulse isn't universal, and
> while I support user choice to enable or disable it based on whatever works
> best, it'd be nice to see as much support for my choice to use it as is
> given to other's choice *not* to.

I didn't say pulse should not be supported. Just wondered why is it so
important for everybody to use pulse *if* it is causing so many
troubles and fixing it will suck up too much resources.

> Anyhow, not contributing further to this. My original post was curiosity
> about the status of this long-unresolved Pulse issue, not on whether or not
> I should be running it based on my own circumstances.

See I changed the subject so I don't troll original thread. I had my
question about pulse from day one looking at the project wiki.

Another thing I'm trying to understand is whether pulse give you any
benefits, because as I said, I'm willing to configure a workstation
for my wife, and not being a TTS user myself I need to get such info
from actual users.

Regards