Problems setting up speech-dispatcher on Fedora 10

From: James Simmons
Subject: Problems setting up speech-dispatcher on Fedora 10
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 07:53:38 -0800 (PST)

Hynek,

Speech-dispatcher is working pretty well for me now that I've removed the
ALSA-to-Pulse-Audio utility, but now I'm finding that speech-dispatcher seems
to be using /dev/dsp even when it isn't speaking anything.? If I try to use
mplayer to play a video after running speech-dispatcher -d it will complain
that it can't open /dev/dsp and I won't get any sound.? Kill speech-dispatcher
and mplayer works again.

I'm concerned this could be a problem if it happens on the XO computers for the
One Laptop Per Child project.? I'm developing an ebook reader with TTS that
uses sperech-dispatcher.? So far its working pretty well, but if using
speech-dispatcher prevented other Activities from using sound that wouldn't be
good.? The XO already has several Activities for making music, for instance.

Is what I've described a common problem, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

James Simmons