Problems setting up speech-dispatcher on Fedora 10

From: James Simmons
Subject: Problems setting up speech-dispatcher on Fedora 10
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 07:31:03 -0800 (PST)

I have been struggling to set up speech-dispatcher on Fedora 10.? I used to use
Xubuntu and had it running OK there, so I do have some experience with the
software.

Fedora 10 uses pulse-audio rather than ALSA.? That seems to be the root of the
problem.? I can edit the espeak.conf file in the modules directory to use
"pulse" rather than "alsa" and speech-dispatcher -d will run without
complaint.? However, when I run spd-say "Hello" no words are spoken.? If I
leave the espeak.conf at "alsa" I get messages complaining that espeak could
not do something involving pulse-audio when I run speech-dispatcher -d, and as
a result the espeak module could not be loaded.

I noticed that the latest speech-dispatcher has a new utility spd-conf that the
version that ships with Fedora 10 does not provide.? I decided to give this a
try, so I uninstalled speech-dispatcher using RPM, downloaded the source, and
ran ./configure, make all, make install.? When I try to run spd-conf it says
that it cannot find a speechd module its trying to import.? I can't see where
this module could come from if not from the speech dispatcher source.

speech-dispatcher worked very well for me under ALSA, and your website seems to
recommend running it that way.? Is it possible to not run pulse-audio on Fedora
10, and if so how would I go about setting it up that way?

Thanks,

James Simmons