Problems setting up speech-dispatcher on Fedora 10

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: Problems setting up speech-dispatcher on Fedora 10
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 16:05:20 +0100

James Simmons wrote:
> Fedora 10 uses pulse-audio rather than ALSA.  That seems to be the
> root of the problem.

You need to change it to use ALSA. We still have some problemw with Pulse.

> I noticed that the latest speech-dispatcher has a new utility spd-conf
> that the version that ships with Fedora 10 does not provide.  I
> decided to give this a try, so I uninstalled speech-dispatcher using
> RPM, downloaded the source, and ran ./configure, make all, make
> install.  When I try to run spd-conf it says that it cannot find a
> speechd module its trying to import.  I can't see where this module
> could come from if not from the speech dispatcher source.

It does, but it gets installed somewhere under /usr/local/something
which is not in your PYTHONPATH, so then spd-conf can't find it. You need
to check where exactly it gets installed (the package name is
"speechd"), likely
in /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ or a similar path according
to your
python version and add this to your PYTHONPATH environment variable.
This is important for Orca as well.

You can do so using this command:

export PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/

If you add it at the end of the file ~/.profile , that will make the
setting permanent
in all sessions under this user.
> speech-dispatcher worked very well for me under ALSA, and your website
> seems
>
> to recommend running it that way.

We think that Pulse Audio is a very good thing and we would like to use
it in the future. There is however still problems on both sides which
haven't
been solved, so we don't recommend it yet.

> Is it possible to not run pulse-audio on Fedora 10, and if so how
> would I go about setting it up that way?

I don't know Fedora, but hope somebody else can answer this.

With regards,
Hynek Hanke