Ibmtts: Could not create ECI instance.

From: Sébastien Hinderer
Subject: Ibmtts: Could not create ECI instance.
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 08:45:18 +0100

Dear Hynek,

Many thanks for your patient help.

> Well, 0.6.1 is very old, that won't work. There has been a change
> in the method of handling audio initialization in 0.6.7 and it is
> not backward compatible.
>> The thing is, they are no available for free, so it may be good to be
>> able to have a recent version of the TTS!
>>
> I don't understand, could you please explain?

Actually, the main cause of all the problems was my lack of clear
understanding of the way things work to gether.
I did not realize there were two components:
1. The TTS, provided in binary formab ty IBM
2. the driver providing the interface between the TTS and
speech-dispatcher, which is part of speech-dispatcher and is free
software.

Once this was understood, I could install things prooperly.
I first installed the TTs, and then downloaded the sources of the
experimental speech-dispatcher package. I compiled the sources, and
since the TTS was present the driver was compiled, too, and finally
everything works.

The thing which surprises me a bit is that the Binary debian package
does not contain the IBM driver. I'm wondering whether this is intended,
e.g. for some legal reasons, or whether this has perhaps been forgotten.

Thanks again for your assistance,
S?bastien.