Output module switching problem with Orca (was: Re: problem with speechd

From: Tomas Cerha
Subject: Output module switching problem with Orca (was: Re: problem with speechd orca backend after last patch)
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 09:07:13 +0200

>> Halim Sahin wrote:
>>> Now I can select the different synths but the ibmtts is always
>>> talking. I have espeak ibmtts and another generic german synth
>>> based on mbrola stuff. Switching these does not work here.
> Tomas Cerha wrote:
>> Hmm, that is quite strange.  So you select the synth in Orca preferences
>> window and press the "Apply" button, but you still hear ibmtts?
>
> right.

Hello Halim, thank you for the protocol log you sent me.  I can see,
that the Orca backend correctly sends the request for switching the
output module.  For example when Orca was started, the synthesizer was
set to espeak.  So if it was speaking through ibmtts from the very
beginning, that seems to be a bug somewhere in Speech Dispatcher.  What
confuses me, however, is that spd-say -o works fine for you.  Don't you
have, by any chance, a custom configuration for Orca?  I mean the
BeginClient, EndClient section somewhere in
/etc/speech-dispatcher/clients/orca.conf or so...

It might help if you could also send speech-dispatcher.log with log
level temporarily set to 5 in speechd.conf.  Do the following:

 * Remove any previous speech-dispatcher.log
 * Set LogLevel to 5 and restart Speech Dispatcher
 * Start Orca and let it say "Willkommen bei Orca"
 * Stop Speech Dispatcher
 * Send me the log

Make sure that Orca is configured to use espeak before this procedure.

Thank you for cooperation.

Best regards, Tomas