problem with speechd orca backend after last patch

From: Tomas Cerha
Subject: problem with speechd orca backend after last patch
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 13:49:58 +0200

Halim Sahin wrote:
> I updated my speechd to latest cvs but I could not select
> any other synthesizer as the default one in orca.
> Do I need to make any other settings first?

Hello Halim, I'm sending the answer to the mailing list as-well.

My guess is that you installed Speech Dispatcher, but not the Python
interface or the Python interface was installed to a directory, which is
not in your Pyhon path.  It is also possible, that you have installed
the package python-speechd from an older version of SD and this one
takes precedence over the newly installed Python interface.

First try to remove the package python-speechd.  Then check, if the
Python interface is still available:

python -c "import speechd"

If that doesn't produce an error, it is ok.  If it does, your python
path probably doesn't include the directory, where the python bindings
were installed by 'make install'.

You can check your python path by:

python -c "import sys; print '\n'.join(sys.path)"

One simple way to fix that would be to link the speechd python module to
your .orca directory (which is in Orca's python path).  This may be done
by the following command (considering the interface is installed in
/lib/python2.4/site-packages and this directory is not in your python path):

ln -s /lib/python2.4/site-packages/speechd .orca/speechd

Hope that helps, Tomas.