sed-devel

Re: [platform-testers] new snapshot available: sed-4.2.2.177-a348

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: [platform-testers] new snapshot available: sed-4.2.2.177-a348
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 21:37:56 -0500

> On Dec 8, 2016, at 20:41, Jim Meyering <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Please push your two commits.

Thanks for the review.
Pushed here:
  doc: follow-up changes for manual improvements

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/sed.git/commit/?id=0989654f71308111e9751a9ddd9d24fb63e42fc0

  maint: add missing fdl.texi to distribution

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/sed.git/commit/?id=77f32cf6c657ca9e9da36e6ce0132affc0322d36

> On top of those, I wrote the following to stop version-controlling the
> generated sed.texi:

I like the idea, I wonder if we can take it a step further and do away with the
preprocessing completely ?

The preprocessing step (sed-in.texi -> groupify.sed -> sed.texi) is there to
add '@group' commands
inside long '@examples', so that multi-page examples will page-break correctly.

For example, this input:
   @example
   #!/usr/bin/sed -f

   # Put 80 spaces in the buffer
   1 @{
     s/^.*$/&&&&&&&&/
   @}
   @end example

Will have '@group' added, resulting in:

   @example
   #!/usr/bin/sed -f

   @group
   # Put 80 spaces in the buffer
   1 @{
     s/^.*$/&&&&&&&&/
   @}
   @end group
   @end example

The comment in the makefile says it is done "[...] since maintaining the
"@address@hidden group" manually is a burden, we do this automatically".

I agree it is a minor burden, and 'groupify.sed' itself is quite sophisticated.

But it adds the burden for the building process.
It adds just 84 instances of '@group' (diff attached),
and I think that none of those multi-page SED examples have been changed in
several years - so very little burden in practice.

The attached patch removes 'sed-in.texi' completely.

What do you think?

regards,
 - assaf