screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] Regarding bug #34200: Log misses first character

From: Juergen Weigert
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] Regarding bug #34200: Log misses first character
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 15:38:22 +0200

On Sep 14, 11 16:07:58 -0700, hiren panchasara wrote:
> Thanks for responding. My responses are in-lined:
>
> When the terminal is in packet mode, skipping the first byte is the right
> > thing. The reporter apparently got bitten by this code without having the
> > terminal in packet mode.
> >
> How do I know/set the terminal in packet mode? How can we conclude that
> reporter didn't have terminal in packet mode? (I am just trying to
> learn/understand here).

window.c:OpenDevice() does that. Should be fully automatic.
> > man 4 tty_ioctl has this:
[...]
> I need to do more read-up on this thing :)

:-)

> > Hiren, could you reproduce the bug? If so, Id like to know why the terminal
> > and screen disagree about package mode.
> >
> Yes, I could reproduce the bug exactly as reporter mentioned.

Good.

> I do not understand the second part of the question. Why do you think
> terminal and screen disagree? Is that the reason for the bug?

My asumption is this:
 - screen decides to use package mode, and later behaves as
   if package mode is enabled, but the pty device remained in normal mode,
   hence the missing characters.

OpenDevice() switches on package mode for W_TYPE_PTY devices, if the
TIOCPKT symbol is available. The code looks quite okay to me. Maybe you
could verify some asumptions here.

        cheers,
                JW-

--