screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] Regarding bug #34200: Log misses first character

From: hiren panchasara
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] Regarding bug #34200: Log misses first character
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 16:07:58 -0700

Thanks for responding. My responses are in-lined:

When the terminal is in packet mode, skipping the first byte is the right
thing. The reporter apparently got bitten by this code without having the
terminal in packet mode.
How do I know/set the terminal in packet mode? How can we conclude that reporter didn't have terminal in packet mode? (I am just trying to learn/understand here).

>    If someone could help me understand what this piece of code is doing, that
>    will be great.
>    What is TIOCPKT?

man 4 tty_ioctl has this:
  Psuedoterminal ioctls
  TIOCPKT   const int *argp
      Enable  (when  *argp is nonzero) or disable packet mode.  Can be
      applied to the master side of a pseudoterminal only (and will return
      ENOTTY otherwise).   In  packet  mode, each  subsequent  read(2)  will
      return a packet that either contains a single nonzero control byte, or has
      a single byte containing zero (' ') followed by data  written  on
      the  slave  side of the pseudoterminal.
I need to do more read-up on this thing :)

>    I did "git blame window.c" and found this portion of code written by
>    jnweiger.

Hiren, could you reproduce the bug? If so, Id like to know why the terminal
and screen disagree about package mode.
Yes, I could reproduce the bug exactly as reporter mentioned.
I do not understand the second part of the question. Why do you think terminal and screen disagree? Is that the reason for the bug?

Thanks,
Hiren