screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] Screen bloated?

From: Johannes Weiner
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] Screen bloated?
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 20:13:38 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 12:09:36PM -0500, David Douthitt wrote:
> I might add, though, that I do like the -F feature recently proposed ;-)

Thank you.

> The way this is going, Lua will wind up embedded before too long....
> (uhoh, there I've gone and said it....)

I once tried to hack in GUILE support as extension language.  But it was crap
when it came to blocking read as in `colon' e.g. It was quite cool on the
other hand to have conditionals for example in your .screenrc.

The best way to go would be to have one properly defined interface to extend
screen with modules.  This way, you could add whatever interpreter you like,
add whatever feature you like.  Screen itself should just provide powerful
primitives.

Since I am using screen as primary window manager on some boxes, my view on it
might be different from people that just use it in a terminal within their X11
session or on a remote box to keep irssi running.

        hannes

--
3BD8 AF56 11AF 205C 9DB6  B10F 76F1 0634 71A4 DCA0