screen-devel

[screen-devel] Screen bloated?

From: David Douthitt
Subject: [screen-devel] Screen bloated?
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 12:09:36 -0500

Screen has an amazing amount of capabilities, and folks keep adding
more - and the new features are getting more and more esoteric.

I'd like more in the way of trimming down - slimming down - or perhaps
a focus on ways to trim it down.  The file-descriptor / filter feature
is a good one to strip down - and personally, I think the vertical
scroll is another.

Is there a standard user-friendly way to strip down the executable
during compilation?  The busybox method (list of capabilities) comes
to mind, as does screen's current list of capabilities.  Another
feature comes to mind: the way Apache and Vim report on what their
capabilities are when asked (or started).

Perhaps more in this regard would be helpful.

I might add, though, that I do like the -F feature recently proposed ;-)

The way this is going, Lua will wind up embedded before too long....
(uhoh, there I've gone and said it....)

--
UNIX System Administrator
Linux+, SCSA, RHCE, LPIC-1