[task #15838] Submission of Freely Programmable Computer

From: Ineiev
Subject: [task #15838] Submission of Freely Programmable Computer
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 06:48:22 -0500 (EST)

> > If you use some license, you should add a copy of it to your tarball.
>
> For clarification, those components are not my work.

This doesn't matter.  You are responsible for what your tarball contains.  The
point is making all these files easy to legally reuse in other GPL-compatible
free software packages.

> I've added a file to the tarball (hardware/COPYING.kicad) indicating which
third party files are incorporated, and the text of CC BY-SA 4.0 + the KiCad
exception.

Thank you!

CC BY-SA 4.0 is distributed under the CC0, you should include it in your
tarball.

Then, the README file should be in the same directory with the files in
question, and the covered files should be listed explicitly, else it's too
easy to get the things wrong when adding new files or copying them to another
package.

Also, these files still lack valid copyright notices.

> > All copyrightable files in your tarball should have valid copyright and
license notices <https://savannah.nongnu.org/maintenance/ValidNotices/>,
including graphical files (to say nothing of files like README.md).

> OK.  I don't yet include any graphical files.

Then files like hardware/*.{pro,sch,kicad_pcb} have no valid copyright and
license notices; they look copyrightable, aren't they?

practice: GNU GPL 3+, https://kicad.org/

> > As far as I understand, any decent distribution should include generated
output files for schematics (like PDF or PS) and layout (Gerber + Excellon),
which is sufficient to be useful in practice; the editor is needed when the
user wants to make changes.

> Agreed.  Are you suggesting I include such output files?

It's up to you; I only wanted to clarify the situation for myself.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15838>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/