Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Future of rdiff-backup: Python 3 migration and

From: EricZolf
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Future of rdiff-backup: Python 3 migration and project maintainership in general
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2019 07:21:37 +0000

Hi,

After months of work alone for the project, the statement without arguments
that someone else seems more qualified, is quite hurtful.

Anyway, I didn't find the time come for personal discussions, but let's go then:

1. I don't deny any qualification to Otto but I don't know him and wanted to
see how he's acting before making any suggestion and entrusting him my work.
Hence the time hadn't come.
2. I've never wanted this project to be a one person show: I don't want the
sole burden and if you've looked at the commit history, that was probably the
main issue in the past.
3. That's why I liked the idea from Patrick, with a dedicated project, we can
easily share responsibility. With whom is another discussion.

Now, speaking of more doing and less talking: I drafted a plan in another sub
thread, and I'd like to get it refined, agreed and acted upon.

Thanks, Eric

PS: Speaking of saving the Debian package, it's also important but it should be
enough for Otto to claim ownership to suspend removal. My times as Debian
maintainer are long gone (Freemind, Freeplane and a few other packages) but
Debian isn't known for changing fast ;-)